Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Anti-cyclist ribbon appears on police car parked at bus stop

While cycling on a highway service road in Queens, I passed this NYPD van illegally parked in a bus stop. It belongs to the NYPD Electronics Section, and I couldn't think of a possible reason why this unit would need to exist. It sounds like something used for spying on people engaged in micromobility. Seeing this van served as a stark reminder that I need to replace the tin foil lining in my bike helmet. While I sat atop my trusty Huffy enraged that we were throwing good money down the tubes on unnecessary surveillance, I noticed a blue ribbon affixed to the back of the death machine that said, "Support POPPA, Inc." This seemed like some kind of an unauthorized protest message so I decided it was my duty as a trusted blog journo to ask for a complete investigation. I contacted 1 Police Plaza and asked why the NYPD needs an electronics division, why they felt it was ok to park their van in a bus stop and why there was a coded message on the back of it.

The response received was that
1) the Electronics Section supports the Life Safety Division which has something to do with the 911 system. But I'm skeptical because their headquarters is located in bike friendly Woodside where there are tons of cyclists to surveil.
2) They were parked in a bus stop because they were "perfoming an official function" and "didn't have time" to look for a non-bus stop spot. Outrageous! The spokesman actually chuckled and said, "Would you like us to send a unit out to issue a summons?"
3) Lastly, he snidely stated, "Let me Google that for you" when I asked about the ribbon. POPPA, Inc. is an organization that provides support to cops by other cops. It's only open to cops so no doubt they are actually meeting to figure out how to undermine cycling in NYC.
It should come as no surprise that this this illegally parked van and the Life Safety Division are located in the city council district of the notorious pro-cop Citibike hater, Bob Holden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Difficult subjects: Let's talk about Tracy Chapman

I headed over to Wegman's today on my $7,000 cargo bike to see if there were any Presidents Day sales on soy based meat. While browsing...